Tuesday, November 06, 2007

For Tami: Staying Fit

Since you've asked, here's some of the things I do to stay healthy--M.G

~My goal is being healthy, energetic and strong. (not deathly skinny!) I know some people who are those three things and they are not a size 0! For me, personally, I am a thin person…that’s normal for me. I’m also 5’9 and have a high metabolism. (it’s genetic J)
~I set my weight and give myself a 5 lb range either way. I don’t step on the scale everyday, I just go by how I feel and how my clothes fit. (In today’s culture, so many girls/women are obsessed with the # on the scale. I say, throw out those “ideal” models! Women come in all different shapes and sizes--the goal is being healthy!)
~Exercise!!! It’s so important! I enjoy walking everyday. My Mom, sisters, babies and I walk several times a week around our town which is around 3 miles. We walk and talk. It’s way more fun that way!
~Healthy diet: I eat very healthy everyday. When there are posts w/ double chocolate, fudge, peanut butter birthday cake it’s definitely a treat! I allow myself dessert on Sundays and usually a “little” sweet treat several times a week. I say, better to satisfy a little craving than to abstain and then go crazy! Instead of real sweets, I’ve been enjoying delicious, crisp apples and organic orange yogurt recently. Somedays though, I gotta have my chocolate!
~Eat GOOD fats! Here’s a revelation that came to me a few years ago. I find that when I eat good fats, I stay full longer and I don’t get headaches as much. We eat our steamed veggies w/ butter and sea salt, I saute in coconut oil or olive oil. I make my own salad dressings--delic!! (extra virgin olive oil, raw ACV, garlic, salt, and herbs) We eat a lot of free-range eggs too. (good for brain development in young children and during pregnancy) I also noticed less sugar cravings after I boosted the healthy fat intake!
~Eat meat
--I’m not at all a vegetarian! My family eats meat once a day. I think my hubby would die without it. We actually eat a lot of red meat, because we raise it (beef) and hunt it(venison). I make salmon sometimes and I just purchased 10 free-range chickens for the freezer.
~Watch what ya drink!
That’s where the calories can really add up. I drink tons of water and some herbal tea. We don’t drink much milk (we get dairy other ways) or juice.(best to get the fruit w/ the fiber--eat the whole fruit)
~Cultured milk products: these have been around for ages and are super healthy. Kefir and yogurt are two that I either make or buy.
~Whole Grains: super healthy. I’ve just been reading that we should vary the grains we eat. Branch out from solely wheat products
~Prepared foods are unhealthy! I rarely buy them…and then, only for convenience, or if my hubby is craving Kraft macaroni. J I don’t even buy boxed cereal…it’s too expensive and oats are healthier!

Now, I must add, that being pregnant for most of my married life has caused my weight to go up and down. I’m just about down to my normal weight!! For me, I don’t worry about it too much, as long as I’m eating healthy and exercising. Those first months post-partum are the hardest weight-wise though. Too small for maternity and too big for my regular. You should see my closet--there’s a lot of clothes, but only ¼ are wearable at this non-pregnant-almost-back -to-normal stage! Such is life, though. Thankfully, Krista, just took ½ my closet to her house since she’s at the poochy stage of pregnancy. J Thanks, Krist.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for responding! I am encouraged to get back on track. More than anything, I am greatful that our future generation has wonderful god-fearing moms who love their homes, husbands and children. Keep up the great work!
God Bless, Tami

Amber D.M. said...

Hi Megan! I just discovered your blog the other day from a comment you left on the Stubblefield's blog.

This was a great post. It's nice to know that what I'm already doing food-wise (which is basically every point you mentioned) will be good to continue doing pre-, during-, and post-pregnancy someday (should the Lord so bless). It's something that I've been most curious about--as far as how to maintain a healthy weight during those three stages. Thanks for sharing.

Hope you and your gents are doing well.

Love and blessings,
Amber Moeller

Unknown said...

Hi Megan,
I came across your blog some time ago and enjoy seeing how well you manage your family. You offered great advice about staying fit and eating healthy. Do you have any idea how to get rid of a small wart on the thumb? I've never had one and recently discovered that is what it is. (yuck!) I am using Olive Leaf on it right now, because it is used to fight viral infections, and it seems (from what I've read) that is what warts stem from. Do you (or anyone else) have another herbal remedy for this? Thanks! -Morgan
morgan_2008@iamfinallyfree.com

Unknown said...

I figures it out...the secret is tea tree oil! -Morgan <><