Friday, September 28, 2007

Cooking Rut...Resolved!!

Do any of you gals get into cooking the same old, same 'ol every week? Ok, well this week I branched out and tried some new recipes. Healthy, inexpensive, AND delicious. So here they are!

This is one of Justin's favorites. I haven't made it in a while but I did have all the ingredients today so, voila~~ It's a bit spicy, but we like it that way. I think I always throw in more garlic and red pepper than the recipe calls for.


Garlic Chicken w/ Orzo Noodles
serves: 4 (or 2 hungry people!)


1 c. uncooked orzo pasta
2 T. olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
2 boneless chicken breast halves- diced
Salt
1 T. chopped fresh parsley
2 c. fresh spinach
Parmesan Cheese

1. Bring a pot of salted water to boil. Add orzo and cook for 8-10 minutes.

2. Heat oil in skillet and saute garlic and pepper. Stir in chicken, season w/ salt and cook 2-5 minutes till lightly browned. Reduce to medium heat and mix in parsley and orzo. Place spinach in skillet and cook till spinach is wilted. Sprinkle w/ Parmesan.

3. Enjoy w/ your family!!

This is a Middle Eastern recipe, I think. My meat-loving husband actually enjoyed this!! He didn't realize they were made out of chickpeas till after he told me it tasted really good. Ha..HA!! (I was cracking up b/c he had so many condiments on his "burger" I'm surprised he could even taste the real thing!)
Falafel:

1 lb canned chickpeas (drained)
1 lg. onion, chopped
2 tbs. finely chopped parsley
1 egg
1 tsp salt
½-1 cup breadcrumbs or fine bulgur
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. dried hot peppers
1-2 cloves garlic minced
Olive oil

~ Combine chickpeas and onions. Add parsley, egg and spices. Mix in blender. Add crumbs till mixture forms a ball. Form into small patties and fry in olive oil until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Serve as a sandwich w/ sliced tomato, lettuce, ketchup, and mayo. Delic!

I enjoy making salads and here's a new twist for something a little different! It's really good as a salad, pita pocket filling or even a snack! Tabbouleh is a Middle Eastern salad of bulgur wheat tossed w/ lots of fresh parsley, mint and lemon juice.
Tabbouleh:
6 servings

1 cup bulgur (pre-soak in 1 cup of water for 1 hour or until water is absorbed)
3 cups chopped fresh parsley
Finely shredded lettuce or spinach
2 large tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
1 small onion, minced
½ cup. Chopped cucumber
½ cup chopped fresh mint
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ cup lemon juice
3 T. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cumin
½ tsp. pepper

~Toss bulgur, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cucumber and parsley together.
~Combine other ingredients and pour dressing over the salad. Cover and chill at least 1 hour.

Sorry about the absence of pictures...my camera needs batteries! The boys and I are heading up to see my grandparents next week! I'm sure I'll have a boat load of pictures to post when I get back!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Meg!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the yummy sounding recipes Meg!
Laura in Va.
www.dumaisblog.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Sounds good!