Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Naptime!!!

It's naptime for the kids! I should be laying down too, but invariably as soon as my head hits the pillow, someone will wake up. So, I'm just enjoying the quiet house for a few minutes!

Hey ladies! A friend of mine sent me this site about homemaking and home management: www.thefamilyhomestead.com I was so encouraged about being the best home manager possible...it's actually quite a challenge sometimes! I was excited to find a recipe for graham crackers. I don't like buying the store ones b/c of the refined ingredients and hydrogenated oil in them. So, I'm going to try making those soon!

Ok, now don't laugh, but I'm going to try the recipe for homemade laundry detergent too! Beachy's Bulk Foods (a local Amish store) carries all the ingredients, so that makes it easy! I can't believe how cheap it is! For 64 1/2 cup loads it's $0.71 (2 gal. of detergent), which translates into $0.01 per load. Plus it doesn't contain all the chemicals that reg. detergent does. Hmmm...I'll let you know how it goes.

~M~

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link. I don't think it's funny that your trying your hand at homemade laundry detergent! I made my own for years using fels neptha, washing soda, and borax. It cleaned the clothes very well, and was way less expensive then store brands. As my family grew I guess I got a bit lazy about making it so I stopped, but you may have motivated me to go back to it!
Blessings,
Laura
www.dumaisblog.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Ha!
I just went to the link and that is exactly where I found my recipe years ago! I like the idea she gave about adding essential oils as it doesn't really have a smell and I love nice smelling laundry. Adding fabric softener sort of defeats the purpose for both expense and not adding film to your laundry. If you are concerned about film (if your children have allergies and such) then most people put vinegar in the rinse instead of fabric softener. Again, this doesn't smell that great so adding essential oils in the vinegar sounds like a good idea as well!

Amy Stubblefield said...

Hi Megan,

I've been making my own laundry detergent for the past few months. It really is very easy and seems to work well. Hope it goes well for you!

Test said...

Yes, when you lay down or start to read your bible...those are my kids alarm clocks ;-)

Good luck with making home made item. I'm going to check out that site.
heather

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I would really love your recipe for your homemade laundry detergent if it turns out well! You can post the recipe on you blog or visit my families at:
thecoyz.blogspot.com! Have a wonderful day! Olivia

TulipGirl said...

I've modified the standard laundry detergent recipe into something even easier to make. . . And my clothes have been SO soft--can't imagine using fabric softener.

Put equal parts washing soda and borax (about a cup of each) into a glass canning jar. Shake well to mix. Add a couple of squirts (about 2 tbsp) of Dr. Bronner's (I use peppermint, 'cause my boys like it) and shake/mix really well. That's a little harder, because it wants to clump at first. I use a lidful (about 2 tsp) per load. Clothes are coming out clean and soft. I still use a commercial spray stain-treater from the really heavy rough-and-tumble-boy stains.