Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Perfect Weather for:

SNOWMAN SOUP!

6-8 sm/med. potatoes (peeled and diced)
1/2 pkg baby carrots (diced)
6 stalks celery (chopped)
1 onion (minced)
2 c. frozen peas
1/3 stick butter
flour
6 c. milk (I use powdered mixed w/ water: cheaper :)
cheddar cheese (1 cup)
salt and pepper
{For a hardier soup: add bacon or sausage}

~Bring potatoes and carrots to a boil, drain when cooked. In separate pan, saute celery and onion in a few tsp of oil/butter till translucent. Add to the potato and carrots. Add peas.
~In a skillet melt 1/3 stick of butter. Wisk in enough flour to make a sticky "dough". Next add 3 cups of milk and wisk over med. heat till hot and thickened. Stir in cheese and rest of milk mixture. Combine till melted. (don't boil!)
~Now pour cheesy mixture over vegetables in a large soup pot. Heat through over med/low heat and season w/ salt and pepper.
(Be sure to stir constantly and keep the heat on med/low. I've scortched this before and it's a bummer)
~~Serve w/ fresh bread, a lettuce salad, and/or a winter fruit salad~~

I've been on a soup making kick lately. I actually really enjoy them! This one isn't probably the healthiest when compared to a bone broth based soup, but it sure satisfies the comfort food craving and is delic since it's been so cold out. Reminds me of when my mom would make potato soup. :) Which reminds me, I need to make Aunt Therese's Sweet Potato Soup sometime before winter is over. (that's very good too!)

2 comments:

The Ambrosetti Family said...

Sounds really good Megan! Thanks for sharing...so how are you? Haven't seen you all in a while..guess that means a visit! =-)

Talk to you later!

~Ali~

Ryan Miller Fam said...

That sounds great! I hear you on the comfort foods! Not so good for the scales. Snowman soup is definitley perfect for down here. The girls have been out of school for the past 2 days due to snow and ice! Ryan has taken 3 spills outside! I'm not to exit the house!