Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Tis the season...for asparagus!

Did you know...

...that asparagus has been cultivated since ancient Greco-Roman times..and was originally hailed for it's medicinal properties?

It's a good source of rutin, a substance that prevents small blood vessels from breaking.

Medieval medicine valued asparagus for the treatment of heart palpitations and as a diuretic.

Asparagus is high in carotenoids, B Complex, folic acid, vitamin C and vitamin E, potassium, iodine and zinc.




I've been meaning to post some of our favorite ways to eat this veggie. We're blessed to have a farm nearby that grows it. (no chemicals, and super fresh!)

Spicy Asparagus:
Lay asparagus on a jelly roll pan...drizzle w/ olive oil...sprinkle w/ steak seasoning. Broil till bright green and hot.

Asparagus with Orange-Ginger Butter:
(this one is better than it sounds)
Steam 1-2 lbs of asparagus. Drizzle w/ this mixture:
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. marmalade
1 T. ginger
1 T. balsamic vinegar (I used ACV, since I'm out of the other)

Garlicy Asparagus:
Saute several minced cloves of garlic in olive oil. Add 1 lbs of asparagus and cook till tender. Sprinkle w/ sea salt.

Scrambled Eggs w/ Spring Veggies:
(tonight's supper)

Saute green onions in butter. Add pre-cooked asparagus. Saute for a minute. Add egg mixture, sharp white cheddar cheese (shredded) or feta cheese, salt, pepper, and lemon thyme. Cook over low heat (that's the key! like #3 or 4) till cooked. Serve in a warm tortilla w/ a garden salad. Yum!!

My kids like it...we eat it hot or cold...it's even good steamed w/ a little butter and salt.

4 comments:

Micah said...

You will have to teach me a thing or two about this! And...Meg...its JUNE! ;)

Elizabeth Sue said...

Very cool ideas. I didn't know all of that about Asparagus. I will have to pick some up at the farmers market, (my husband and I grew up in the country but we are city transplants for this season of life) :)

Carolyn said...

I also like to toss it in an omelete with tomatoes and Feta!

Carolyn said...

I also like to put it in an omelete with tomatoes and feta!