Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Recipe

For the laundry soap recipe, you can go to:

www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap.htm

Washing Soda is by Arm and Hammer, but don't get it confused w/ Baking Soda. It is in a large box and looks like the baking soda box. I found Washing Soda at a local Amish grocery store...I don't think Walmart carries it, but you could check.

The laundry detergent itself smells like Mexican laundry soap. Ha!! (Right Elia?!)
I think the soap smells like the Fels Naptha bar...kinda, um soapy! I've heard you can use essential oils for a scent, but I haven't tried it. The laundry doesn't have any scent when it comes out of the dryer, but I'm sure a dryer sheet or fabric softener could give a nice "laundry" aroma, if you like it.

There's my $0.02!

M~

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for adding the recipe.

Our latest baby is about the same age as your youngest one -- Nathan was born on July 1st.

Have a great day and thanks for the "laundry post."

Carmen at Old House Homestead said...

I am a lurker...coming out to let you in on this great tip!

I use vinegar for fabric softener. White distilled vinegar...a very large bottle at Walmart is less than $2. It has lasted me for the last two months and I've used maybe 3/4 of it (I've used a lot of it for cleaning with baking soda, too so I'm not sure exactly how much I've used with the laundry). Just put 1/4 cup in the fabric softener container in your washer and add enough water to fill it up. The clothes have a hint of vinegar smell when they come out of washer but after they hang up and dry or come out of the dryer they don't have a scent. We have 6 children and 3 have sensitive skin so this is so much better (and cheaper) than the Downy scent-free kind. Anyway...thought you would enjoy that information!

Hugs,
Carmen

Anonymous said...

Hey Carmen, thank you for your nice instructions! I never knew that it's possible to use vinegar for fabric softener. Also I want to thank the owner of this blog for that nice laundry soap recipe. I am going to add a link to this page from my Natural Bath Products site.And if you do not mind, I will add your soap recipe and instructions to my collection of soap recipes here. thanks!