Sunday, May 17, 2009

...a few thoughts...





Back in the early 1920's there was a doctor who realized that surgeries could be performed with a local anesthetic instead of putting a patient completely to sleep. This type of surgery was unheard of back then, and no one would volunteer to be the "guinea pig". The Dr. realized that he had performed nearly 4000 appendectomies, so it was a common procedure for him to undertake. One day, he finally had a willing participant. The patient was prepped and wheeled into surgery. The Dr. performed the routinue surgery with a local anesthetic and an awake patient. The next afternoon, the patient was up and about, recovering well. (Before this "new" type of surgery, the normal recovery time was over a week in the hospital) The patient who was brave enough to be the "guinea pig" was the Dr. himself!
[The Pastor used that story to illustrate the spiritual surgery he challenged us to do on ourselves this morning during the sermon.]

"Ye are the salt of the earth; but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men."

I was very encouraged by the preaching this morning. (maybe b/c I was in the front row and had no children to wrestle this morning. :) Matthew 5:13-16 were the verses of discussion. The need for Christians to be salt and light was the theme. Here are a few points from my mental notes I took. :)


~We are called to be salt. What is salt? It's a preservative, a seasoning, a purifier...

~We (those who have Jesus in them) are the light of the world. That's an amazing thought, that as we allow Jesus to take the throne in our hearts, he, instead of us, shines through. In our actions, words, responses, and choices. Whoa...I see a lot of Me in myself, instead of Him!

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."


~The Bible says that our faith shouldn't be personal-a keep.it.to.yourself.faith- Our lights (the Light of Jesus) should shine before men/the world. And it's not for our glory, but that glory may go to Jesus

~I need to rid myself of ritual and routinue (yes, my kids help out in that area!) in my Christian walk, and get authentic. Get to practically applying what I already know! Realize that Life is in the little things...my actions, my responses, my attitude.

~People are either influenced positively for negatively by how we live our lives. This is imperative that I realize this, because we (Christians) are carrying Christ's name with us. Am I bringing Him honor or shame in how I conduct my life?

~The statistics show that "Christians" have the same alarming statistics as non-Christians. (for divorce, teen pregnancy, lying, cheating, etc.)

~Am I authentic in my Christianity...meaning, am I genuine? the real deal? What would those who know me best say? What about those I barely know? Would they see Jesus in me?

~Am I salty? Am I a light?

~The major challenge I came away with, was...How am I being a salt and light to my children? They are unsaved little sinners. I have been given these children to train and teach! Do they see Jesus in me? It's so easy to operate daily in "the flesh" and let the "real me" spew out instead of Jesus. This week, I'm going to focus on being more intentional in my responses with the little ones God has intrusted to me. If I fail to lead them to Jesus (even in the daily things), in what I tell them, and what I exemplify, I have failed at my most important task. Who cares if I lead others to the Lord, but loose my own children, because of neglect, ignorance, selfishness, or lack of vision. Do my children see Jesus in me? Or do they see me as a complaining, crabby, impatient mother. It is my desire to live an authentic relationship with Jesus, and that my passion for and the work of Jesus in me, would stir in them a desire to want Jesus in their own lives.

Thank goodness, for grace, mercy, and truth. I'm thankful that God answers prayers and that he is the God of second chances. I certainly don't want my children to ride of J and my "coattails" of Christianity. When God knocks on the door of their hearts, I pray that they would allow Jesus to be their King...that they will allow Jesus to be their Master and Lord.

~Thanking the Lord, today for a refreshing perspective and a clearer vision.~

Pressing on with joy and enthusiasm!
~m.e.g.~

"Take time to be holy,
The world rushes on;
Much time spend in secret,
With Jesus alone;
By looking to Jesus,
Like Him thou shalt be;
Thy friends and thy conduct,
His likeness shall see."
W.D.L

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Thank you so much for sharing this, Meg! What encouragement and a wonderful reminder.

Jasmine said...

What beautiful and honest thoughts! Who can say we mothers aren't in the mission field?? I pray God will grant you wisdom with your little ones as I prepare to welcome mine into the 'field' :o) God bless you!! Keep 'shining' for Him!

Ryan Miller Fam said...

Really enjoyed reading this. I wasn't able to go to church this week due to Briggs being puny. Ryan and the girlies didn't have much to say about the sermon. So, I enjoyed hearing about Ed's!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Megan! I really needed to hear this today. Life seems to be just cruising by and my little ones are growing so fast. Lord, help us to sheperd our childrens' hearts in every moment. You are worthy of our ALL!
Erica