Thursday, May 14, 2009

4 Generations...

Justin and I have grown up in a generation where peer-segregation has been a popular thing. Preschool, public school, & youth group, captializes on peer segregation. About midway through my growing up years, my parents noticed the negative side of peer-segregation and encouraged us kids to venture out of such segregation. They provided opportunities for us to be involved with people of various generations. Thus, our social circles and various entreprenurial work venues began to include others of all ages. I'm blessed to have friends both older and younger than myself. Personally, younger people refresh me and older people inspire me.

(I realize Justin blinked, but it was much cuter of the kids! sorry honey!)


There's an older lady in our church, whom Justin (esp.) has befriended. This sweet older woman has developed the art of no-bake cookies, of which Justin is quite fond of. Thus, an immediate bond: she likes to cook 'em; he likes to eat 'em! After a potluck a few weeks ago, Justin was invited to a "Scotch-A-Roo No-Baking Lesson", with Mrs. Southards, as the instructor. He was to meet at her house on Tuesday evening at 7, and was to bring a 9 x 13" pan along. (I tagged along as the photographer and child-chaser)


First, she made a batch and had him watch. Then he made a batch by himself, with her overseeing.


While we were there, we learned the story on this little chair. The chair belonged to Mrs. Southard's grandmother and was thrown from an upstairs window of their burning house. It was the only thing salvaged from the fire and was obviously well made to weather that fall without breaking! The kids had fun sitting in it!






On his way home from work, he mentioned to his friend, Kyle, that he had a hot date. Kyle asked where he and I were going. Justin had to break the news to him that he wasn't going on a date w/ his wife...it was some other lady. Immediately, the tone of the conversation changed, as Kyle expressed his concern. After explaining that it was a harmless baking lesson with Mrs. Southards, I think he was a bit jealous. (Kyle is an outstanding cook/baker)

Although, still true to his self-entitlement, Justin still has never baked in his life. Yet, he is able to say that he is now not only the grill master, but also master of the Scotch-A-Roo NOBakes!




I taste-tested a teeny-weeny corner of it, just to make sure they were good, while Justin was putting the boys to bed. They were terrific! He brought the rest of them to work. The guys told him that they understood now why he kept me around. He proudly informed them that it was he who had whipped up such a delicacy. I'm not sure he ever got those construction guys convinced...although, they sure enjoyed them, as the empty pan testified!

So, that's the story of our delightful evening spent with Mrs Southards, and now, our new ability to made the deliciously scrumptious cookie-bar: The Scotch-a-roo!

9 comments:

Elizabeth J. said...

I loved this post! The cookies look so good.=)

Anonymous said...

i can't believe you haven't put up pictures from monday ha ha. or maybe we'll freak grandma nett out too much :)

Elizabeth Sue said...

Megan,
I agree whole hearted with the peer thing. I went to public school and it seemed like a social crime to have friends younger than you. And having older friends was like knowing a celebrity! (so foolish in hindsight) Anway, thanks for reminding me of the great importance of interacting with people from all ages.

The cookies sound good, if you ever find a sugar free version, I wouldn't be mad at you for posting it. :-)

Liv said...

I agree with you on having friends that are different ages. I'm just as happy to hang out with a 5 year old or 13 year old as I am to be with a 17 year old. It adds variety to life!

The Sisson Clan said...

Well with the cookies being no-bake it couldn't have been a "hot date" it could only be a "luke warm date".

Christine said...

Megan, Both of my children are students of your sister Leah. I am thankful for your blog and enjoy reading about your family because it gives me a vision for our children - especially our daughter, Madeline. I did not grow up in a Christian home, but became a believer in college. I know I want her life to be different... and when I look at you and Justin and your children - and read all the beautiful things you have written about faith and family...it is an inspiration to me!!

Most sincerely, Christine Decker

Ryan Miller Fam said...

SCOTCHEROOS ARE FAVORITES AROUND HERE! MY MOM ALWAYS MADE THEM GROWING UP. I LOVE THEM - WELL, WE ALL DO!!! SHE IS A SUPER SWEET LADY.

Marcy said...

How sweet! I bet she loves the company as much as you guys love soaking up her wisdom! (and her cooking classes!)

Are you going to post the recipe?

Anonymous said...

I, too, have always loved being around older people. Growing up in a very small town in the late 60s, there was no swimming pool, no videos, no cell phones, no computers, not even dial phones until I was 17! The church I attended in town was small, too. I loved visiting with the older ones. Many of them are gone now, but I think of them often. I am an "older" person to many today!