Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Yum

This month, I'm trying to see how much $$ I can save. I was on Life In A Shoe's blog and she posted a September $$ saving challenge to anyone who wants to try it out. It should help that it's cooler now...maybe not heating or air conditioning will help the power bill! My main household managing chore has been looking in my cabinets, fridge, and freezer (and garden too!) to see what I have and use that first before shopping for more items. Novel idea, huh?! :) Tonight is Eggplant Parmesan, since there were a few more eggplants left in the garden. Well, the boys and I have tried some new recipes and thought someone else may like to try them out!

What to do w/ a bag of self-rising flour and no bread left in the house? Biscuits! I made a double batch and pre-made Justin's sandwiches for his lunch.

Basic Buttermilk Biscuits:

1/3 c. butter
2 c. self-rising flour
3/4 c. buttermilk (or reg. milk w/ a little lemon juice)

~Cut butter into flour. Add buttermilk. Turn dough out and knead 3 times. Roll dough out and cut w/ a round cookie cutter. Bake at 425 degrees for 12-14 min.
Yeild: 10
Prep time: 6 minutes!

I don't know if any of you other girls have had problems finding a good fritatta recipe, but I just tried this one, and will make it my stand-by fritatta recipe. It's yummy and easy:

Fritatta:
5 lg. eggs, beaten
2 T. butter, melted
1/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 c. cottage cheese
2 c. shredded cheese
favorite saute'd veggies (I used peppers, onions, and mushrooms)

~Beat eggs, butter, flour and baking soda. Stir in cheeses and veggies. Pour into a well greased pie plate and bake uncovered at 400 for 10 min, and reduce heat to 350 for 20 more minutes. Cut into wedges.

The boys and I have been making these for snacks recently. They are yummy, cheap, and no hydrogenated oils! I rolled mine out kinda thick the first time, and they tasted more like gingerbread. If you roll them out thin and bake them till they're crisp, they taste more like store bought graham crackers.

Graham Crackers:
1/3 c. olive oil
1/3. c. honey
1/4 c. milk
2 T. molasses
1 t. vanilla
3 c. whole wheat flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon

Wisk together the wet ingredients. In a different bowl, stir dry ingredients. Mix both wet and dry ing. together. Roll out dough on a cookie sheet or baking stone. Sprinkle w/ coarse sugar or cinnamon sugar and prick w/ a fork. Bake at 300 for 20-25 min. Cut into squares and cool on a cookie sheet.

Gotta go, baby's crying...

3 comments:

Brent Barnett said...

thanks for the recipes, megan. i've been looking for a graham cracker recipe that doesn't use shortening or butter for a long time b/c my husband has soy and milk allergies. I'll try this one!
sarah

Gretchen said...

Fun ideas Megan!

Littlecarlotta said...

Sometimes I laugh when I read your posts, I feel like you live at my house. Just this week I looked in my freezer and cupboards and decided to get creative and use what I have before going to the store again.
I'll have to try the graham crackers, they sound yummy.

Aliza