Thursday, November 13, 2008

~~CITY FOLKS BEWARE!~~






If you live in my neck of the woods (hick'sville/rednecktownusa), deer hunting is serious. Very serious. You should've heard the vehicles rumbling into my driveway, past my house, this evening. My husband has spent many Sunday afternoons sighting in his bow, practicing his shots, invested part of our life's savings in some new gear, including this new bow, and has spent hours in a tree stand since October 1st. 4

As of this afternoon, we have a new addition to the family...er...I mean the freezer. Now I'm not much into deer hunting, except that I enjoy venison in the freezer...so I suppose it's worth sacrificing hours spent w/ my hubby. Glad he's the one that's willing to freeze his tail off for hours in a breezy tree stand.


[This is a runner up for our Christmas Card photo...except...we may have to have Leah photoshop Madeline into the picture. And more importantly, given the fact that I have not had 5 minutes to apply any makeup all day--those two things will probably put an ax to the Christmas Card idea..Ha!]

I'm afraid hunting will lack some luster after this year, however. Most guys around here get excited about sacking a 8 or 10 point buck. My hubby was granted the chance to shoot a 20 point buck struting along out in some forlorn corner of my Dad's property late this afternoon. Yes, you read that correctly: 20 points, and symmectrical too! With his new Hoyt bow, between two branches up in the particular tree stand, named "The Marriott" (guy lingo for the most comfy hunting stand) The trophy buck weighed around 250 and scored around 193. (that's big stuff, for all you city folks :)

[Lots of future hunters and camo wearers.]

All in all, it's been a good day. My husband will be in cloud 9 for at least 2 weeks. I'm happy for him to be so excited. Kinda cracks me up though. This hunting stuff is serious. Maybe I should try it sometime...maybe when the kids get older. I'm tending more serious things on the homefront in this season of life...

~~Side Note: I enjoyed reading all your comments about what the "news" could be. Funny that several have commented about us expecting again. Just to satisfy your curiousity... I'll just say, I'm not craving sushi or apples and peanut butter. And am not planning to for several years...but, I've said that before too. God seems to delight in rearranging my plans for my life. :)

~Goodnight, all~~
Megan E.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...20 points. My little bro isn't big into the whole blogging thing but I'm sure he'll love to see this! He says he wants to hunt but if he actually killed something I don't know if he could then eat it. We'll see.

Olivia

Namaw Kak said...

WOW!!!

WOW!!!

KATHY

Anonymous said...

justin! way to go!

Vanderpolclan said...

My hubby will love this story. He also Bow hunts. He is out freezing his tail off in the mornings waiting for the deer to show up. It has been warm here so they are a bit slow to come around. Hopefully soon though. The weather is turning cold now. Snow is in the forecast, much to my kids delight. Enjoy the meat!

Cindy in Canada

Anonymous said...

Awesome! That's a wall hanger! Good Job Justin! ...yeah I was really off on the whole preo thing. lol

erin said...

That is impressive.

So does this take the sting out of losing the other one?

Anonymous said...

Megan, my husband would be extremely impressed!! I haven't heard of a 20-point deer around here! I am a hunter's wife also, and I can't say I understand why they hunt!! Congrats to Justin!