Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Kids cooking in the kitchen...

I didn't realize how blessed I was to "help" my Mom in the kitchen when I was little. While chatting w/ several different ladies recently, I realized how fortunate I am to have been nurtured and taught in my mother's kitchen! Come to think of it, I have memories in both of my grandma's kitchens as well!

I suppose it's easy to justify the need to make dinner "really quick" or whip up this batch of cookies w/out a huge mess. (I do that sometimes too:) Thankfully the women in my life have take the time and effort to let me and my siblings make a "mess." I have such great memories of baking and cooking with my Mom and sisters. Just found out, that other girls and boys may not have those memories. I actually enjoy cooking and baking and enjoy including others in the experience.

Even Uncle Max has spent time in the kitchen and he even has a few signature meals, outside of scrambled eggs, cornbread, and Mac N' Cheese! That's a good idea in my book. Train little guys how to cook, so that when their big guys, they can impress their wives every once in a while. :) (So she can go and eat bon bons)

Eva stirring up the batter...

Learning the art of crunching/smashing the walnuts~ Needless to say, Samuel and Mommy were a bit overzealous and filled the cruncher too full. Most of the walnuts spilled ALL over the floor! What's cooking without a mess, right? When baking w/ kiddos, cleanliness is not the focus. Having fun, making memories, and learning is!

Boys like to learn how to cook/bake too! It's a good thing for them to know their way around the kitchen. You know, I'm preparing him for another woman some day (far, far away!).

So here's my resolve: to give my own children, my younger siblings, nieces and nephews to come, and whoever else happens to be in my home some of the same pleasant memories my Mom and Grandma's gave to me~


So what did we bake that day??? Starring THE BEST muffins I have ever made or tasted! (We even ground our flour fresh using a 9 grain mix) Thanks to Abby Phillips here's the recipe:

FAIR BREAKFAST MUFFINS

1 EGG
1/3 C. MILK
1/3 C. OLIVE OIL
1 C. MASHED BANANA
1 MED. TART APPLE, PEELED AND CHOPPED
1/2 C. CHOPPED WALNUTS
2 C. WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR
1/3 C. BROWN SUGAR
3 tsp. BAKING POWDER
1 tsp. SALT
3/4 tsp. GROUND CINNAMON

TOPPING:

1/3 C. PACKED BROWN SUGAR
1/3 C. FINELY CHOPPED WALNUTS
2 T. COLD BUTTER


DIRECTIONS:

Beat egg, add milk, oil and bananas. Stir in apple and walnuts. Combine dry ingredients; stir into the banana mixture till moistened. Fill greased muffin cups 2/3's full. Combine topping in gredients till crumbly. Sprinkle over batter and bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes.

YEILD:1-1/2 DOZEN

8 comments:

Liv said...

My brother use to love helping my mom cook when he was little. He still will bake the occasional banana bread or cookies while sporting his blue apron he sewed himself when he was about 6 or 7. My sister and I both still have tiny aprons that our grandma helped us make with our handprints on them that say "Olivia's Helpng Hands and Morgan's Helping hands" they are really cute and make for a great keepsake. Olivia

Namaw Kak said...

Megan,
Love the new picture on your blog. The boys are getting sooooo big.

Kathy Pardi

Micah Frey a Licensed Massage Therapist (LMT) said...

Your friends are right Megan...I don't have one single memory of cooking in the kitchen with my Mom. My Dad did an awesome job (seriously) serving us frozen pizzas, entrees, and occasionally fried chicken and Mac N Cheese. Feel free to send me all the fantastic home cooked recipes you like. I am trying to teach myself and Micayla how to cook. :) Micah

~Justin&Meg~ said...

~Never too late too start! I'm still teaching myself new things...not just in the kitchen realm. Fun times!

Anonymous said...

Hi Megan,
Sorry for leaving another comment. My sister was the one who conducted the email interview with you for our homeschool co-op's newsletter. I was wondering if you would like for me to mail you a copy of the newsletter with the article in it. If so them you can email me your address at: livielulabelle92@aim.com.
~Olivia Coy

Anonymous said...

ooohh...those were really the best muffins ever!!!

Miss Ellie said...

That is such a sweet post ! I too remember helping my Mother with cooking/baking and now I having fun teaching my little sister all the things my mother taught me!
I hope you have a wonderful Easter!
Ellie
P.s I really your header picture on this blog!

erin said...

My mom never taught me much, if anything, about cooking, so I have been very intentional about teaching my girls their way around the kitchen. Katie already cooks better than I did when I got married-seriously! The effort pays off, too, because now they are such a big help to me.

Erin