Friday, March 21, 2008

Living Deliberately...



"See then that ye walk circumspectly not as fools , but as wise,
Redeeming the time, because the days are evil." Ephesians 5:15-16


I've been thinking over the past couple days of my need to live life deliberately. To me this means organized, thought-ful, careful, and wisely. Life has a tendency to sweep by if I don't live deliberately, and I miss opportunities. I find myself reacting instead of responding as the Lord unfolds His plan for me on any particular day. It's so easy to fall into that w/ two little guys and being pregnant. I've realized my need to be more consistent w/ the boys in light of chores(for Samuel), first-time obedience, boundaries (for both of them!), teaching from Scripture (memorizing) and a form of a schedule.

So, I've been thinking of ways I can be more deliberate...If I'm not thought-FUL about these things, I find the day goes by and it doesn't happen!

~Joyfully serving my family
~Praying for my husband diligently, daily
~Teach (academically and spiritually) and train my children
~Worship God daily (while I meet the needs of my family)
~Have family worship
~Pray w/ Justin before we crash at night :)
~Save $$
~Teach my children to pray and sing
~Smile into my children; enjoy them!
~Teach them how to work with a great attitude
~Be consistent about a quiet time
~Memorize scripture w/ Samuel
~Be less distracted (phone, Internet, housework)!

It's interesting how a little planning and deliberate choices will make things happen. The day goes so much smoother too! I find that the boys and I are tying heart strings, in the midst of training and teaching. Plus, we have fun~

"Stand in awe and sin not; commune with your own heart upon your bed and be still. Selah" Psalm 4

I've been doing a lot of the last part of that verse! Thanks to pregnancy insomnia. For some reason, I don't remember it hitting me this early. Thankfully, I feel great when I wake up. :)

Justin just started his new job w/ a new company. We're trying to get used to the new schedule. He's up at 4 am every morning, so he can read his Bible and get ready for work. I'm so proud of him! Habits that aren't formed at young ages are harder to form later in life. (being both an early riser and a reader) He leaves an index card for me every morning with part of the scripture he read for the morning. Those are the best kind of love notes!

6 comments:

Test said...

About 18 months ago a speaker came to our MOPS group and she said, "The phrase I heard when I had little ones that stuck with me was: Be Intentional!"

That as stuck with me, just as your phrase: Living Deliberately.

It's hard with little ones to just try to survive some days! But when this thought to be intentional or deliberate stick with you, it does seem to make your/our days more meaningful.

There's this book from Jill Savage: Being the Inentional Mom your family needs. It's pretty good. I'd be happy to send it to you if you want to borrow it!

Have a great day! We're having a fun-filled snow day with a dining room table tent, trains everywhere and a host of other toys pulled out!

Happy Easter!
Heather

Macnme said...

Hey Meg,

I like the new layout a lot and the colors too. The boys are looking so much older every day!

Anonymous said...

Meg~
How can we get on the list to read George and Krista's blog? I so miss reading her updates and seeing her beautiful pictures. There are about 20 families in our church that used to follow her blog. We miss it and them!

Blessings~
Denise

Anonymous said...

Megan,
Thank you so much for the reminder to live intentionally! I need to write that in big bold letters and put it in a very visible place to remind myself to act instead of react. I pray you are given strength for your task as wife and mother, and for your pregnancy. I am encouraged everytime I read your blog.

Cindy

Ryan Miller Fam said...

Megan: You must have your mom's knack. She is always telling me something that "hits" right in the heart. It is so easy to let the day slip by. Thanks for this great reminder! Tricia

Connie Leis said...

Megan your blog has really touched me as I sit here crying...it is really important to do all those things that you said about living deliberately! It is so important to do that while your little ones are little-mine are 19 and 15 and I feel like I have missed out on so much because I didn't live deliberately! I feel like I would have more respect from them now if I would've done that! Some days I just want them little again so I can have another chance...but life goes on and all I can do now is continue to pray for them that they will continue to grow into the young adults that God wants them to be! Thanks for sharing such deep feelings! You are in my prayers!
Connie in VA