Saturday, July 12, 2008

~Blueberries~

I should've taken some pictures of the beautiful blueberries, but I just finished putting the rest of the 40 lbs of them in the freezer. Next week I'm hoping to get a second batch. Our family likes to eat them right from the freezer, in desserts, and on cereal throughout the winter. Blueberries are super-easy to preserve, and very healthy---my kind of deal. Well, I'm kinda chuckling at writing a post about blueberries, but I thought there should be some preface to the recipe I'm about to post. I just took this loaf out of the oven and it's the 1st time I've made this bread. It comes from Williams Sonoma's Bread Book. It's definitely worth sharing. Madeline also has a taste for zuchinni bread too, but I need to wait till my zuch's are ready. Let me waddle into the kitchen and go get the recipe...Here it goes:

Sour Cream-Blueberry Bread

2 med-ripe bananas
2 cups flour (I used freshly milled 7 grain flour)
3/4 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cups chopped pecans
2 lg. eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 heaping cup of blueberries, fresh or frozen

Preheat oven to 350 and grease a loaf pan.
Mash bananas well w/ a fork and set aside.
Stir together flour, sugar soda, salt, cinnamon, and nuts. In another bowl, wisk together eggs, sour cream, vanilla, butter and bananas. Stir wet and dry ingredients until moist. Carefully fold in blueberries. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 50-60 minutes. Let cool in pan on a rack for 30 minutes. Turn the loaf out onto the rack and cool completely.

Then enjoy w/ a tall glass of milk.

~Meg~

--------------
I'm reading through the book of Joshua. It seems I get stuck reading through the Gospels and when I get finished w/ those, I head to Proverbs, doing my one a day for the whole month just because I can't think of where else to go. So, my sister, totally relating, said, "How 'bout the book of Joshua?" Yeah, good idea!! I just finished the part about Jericho falling down and Rahab and her family being saved from the destruction. I tend to forget to look at the whole of Scripture. The Bible is relevant from beginning to end, Old and New Testament. I'm ready to read about the defeat at Ai and Achan's sin.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
With my present state of uncomfortable largeness and preoccupation w/ the events soon to happen, I've also been encouraged by 2 verses in particular this week:

"Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will take care of itself. Sufficient unto today is the evil thereof." Matthew 6:34

"And He said unto me, 'My grace is sufficient for thee; for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities that the power of Christ may rest upon me....for when I am weak, then am I strong."
2 Corinthians 12:9

10 comments:

BH said...

I have been focusing on Old Testament books recently. Isaiah is my favorite book in the Bible, and I am reading Jeremiah right now. I also really like Judges.

Anonymous said...

these posts are always the best.. :) Blueberries and the Bible!

Anonymous said...

Oh my heavens! This recipe looks wonderful! Can't wait to try it.

Giveaway on my blog until July 16!

Micah said...

I can relate to the feeling of being big! And I'm too emotional for the world. :) Thanks for the encouraging scriptures.

T said...

Megan,
Hi, I posted a comment yesterday and asked for your email address. I am now a Google Blogger so you can check out who I am at http://tami-solagratia.blogspot.com/.
Thanks, Tami

Anonymous said...

Meg, I always enjoy reading your blog and looking over your pictures! The recipe looks wonderful--can't wait to try it. May our Lord richly bless and encourage you today!

Anonymous said...

What beautiful Scripture verses to think about... especially right now!!

We love blueberries too. A while back we went to a u-pick blueberry farm and brought home about 41 pounds! We've posted a wonderful muffin recipe (and a blueberry breakfast cake) on our blog: www.mariemadelinestudio.typepad.com

God bless you!
Achaia

erin said...

Your mom picked up fifty pounds of blueberries for me yesterday and I think I'm going to try your recipe tomorrow. It sounds so good.

Katie and I are going to do a book together this fall called Taking the Old Testament Challenge. We will read the entire OT along with studies and devotions. It's part of her school, but I thought it would be good for me, too, for the same reasons you mentioned.

Hope you are still feeling well. Not much longer now!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Megan,
I haven't posted a comment on here before, but I have come a lot, I love reading up on your family, and am so excited about the coming little one! As I know you read Alyssa's blog, and you were the one who pointed us to pray for Morgan, I think you should head over to her blog, if you haven't already, and read the last post. Have a blessed day. Thank you.
In Christ,
Jean Marie
(Florida)

Anonymous said...

I tried the muffins recipe in the form of mini-muffins yesterday and they were amazing! My family enjoyed everything I'd left on the counter (including the ones I had set aside for our neighbor.)This is the best blueberry muffin recipe I've used yet. Thanks for passing it on!